Just like in previous entries, they serve as a means of transport. Yes, you have the big car Noctis and his crew drive, fly and what not, but can it really be compared to the screeching sound of the chocobos? Not to mention the soft feathers that make traveling a joy, hopeful jumps that look like the chocobo is about to fly, drifting to the side and other appealing characteristics of these magnificent birds.
But, this can’t be the all they offer, can it? Read on to find out what else can you expect from Final Fantasy 15 Chocobos.
Where to find Chocobos in Final Fantasy XVAs it was mentioned before, their main purpose is to make traveling through the open world more enjoyable. This can be done in various ways.
- They are mounts. You mount them, and ride them wherever you want.
- They can jump high, sprint, drift, glide for a bit, swim – almost everything but fly.
- To be able to summon one, you’ll need to find a Chocobo rental station. You can find these rental stations near diners, chocobo posts… Stations are yellow and look like parking meters.
- You can rent a chocobo for a period ranging from one to up to seven days. Each day’s rent costs 50 gil.
- To call your mount, you’ll have to press the right trigger, then right or left on the D-pad. Find the chocobo tab and call for it. When successful, the action is followed by a whistle. The bird appears next to the player shortly afterwards. Once they are near, you have to use the appropriate button to mount them.
- You can customize them at the Chocobo Posts. This is where you can change their name, color and medals.
- They can have different levels. Chocobos of different level and colors have different attributes, combat skills.
- They spend their stamina while dashing.
- There are chocobo races in the game. Winning them earns you medals and extra experience. To win the race, you have to beat the time limit, be faster then some of your friends or something else altogether.
- You can gain AP while going on long rides or wining races.
- Chocobos are scared of the wildlife. You want to stay away from the enemies while you’re riding.
- Some of them can be parts of a quests. Just like the black one we saw in the Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae demo.
Chocobo Customization in FFXVCustomizing your giant bird-friend means you can change its name, color and medals. You can customize not only the Noctis’ pet/mount, but also the ones his companions use.
- Customization is done at Chocobo Posts. In order to accomplish it, you have to find a post and complete the appropriate quests.
- Adding the color to a bird means changing what its feathers look like. For now, the colors of the saddle and the attachments remain the same.
- You can use seeds and fruit you find in the wild to create dyes to change your chocobo’s color.
- Medals can be earned by winning races.