Niflheim is a one of the challenge realms in God of War. It’s not part of the main story, and you can finish the game without unlocking it. If you decide to go there, though, you’ll be faced with several punishing challenges. This includes fighting a Valkyrie boss, closing several realm tears, and collecting a whole bunch of mist echoes and anchors of fog, which will allow you to open up legendary chests. Our God of War Nilfheim walkthrough will show you how to do that and much more.
How to Stay Longer in the Cursed Mist of Niflheim?
Niflheim is a special challenge realm that you can enter after you find the four Niflheim ciphers. Niflheim is a challenge maze, where the player seeks to survive the timer and enemies while gathering important resources and other items. The layout of the maze is the only constant in this challenge, and you have to pay attention to the cursed mist of Niflheim. Once the timer at the top of the screen depletes, you will die. Here’s what you can do to survive in Niflheim longer:
- Open as many chests as you can, as they add time on the timer.
- Craft the Hvergelmir Stone talisman. This talisman costs 32.000 Hacksilver and 1.000 Mist Echoes. It summons a cleansing fog that restores a small amount of Health and increases the amount of time Kratos can stay in the Cursed Mist of Niflheim. It has a short cooldown.
- Craft the Ivaldi Armor sets. These sets increase the player’s resistance to the cursed mist.
- Equip other items, like the Artifact of the Blights Enchantment Socket, which has a high perk activation chance to restore some protection against the Cursed Mist of Niflheim.
Niflheim maze runs can be repeated as many times as you want. To make it fresh, every time you leave the cursed mist of Niflheim, the following things reset:
- Enemies, traps, treasure chests.
- Runes on the first rune chest, and locations of the corresponding runes throughout the maze.
- The location of the second rune chest location,and the locations of the bells.
- Traps in different passageways.
To leave the cursed mist of Niflheim, you have to step out of it. You have to either go back to the shop, step on the plateau of the central platform. You’re safe when the cursed mist timer at the top disappears. You’ll get the notification that all earned Mist Echos have been transferred to the shop.
Anchor of Fog Key Location & Other Rewards
One of the goals of collecting Mist Echoes is to complete three favours and loot the treasures of the central chamber. The first favour, “Ivaldi’s Workshop”, lets you access this central chamber. It takes only 500 Mist Echoes to do so. Once you have the Niflheim Entry Stone, clear the first maze area, and place the stone on the entrance rune desk. It will open the nearby door. You can climb to the central chamber from there.
The central chamber is where all the Niflheim treasures are hidden. Some of them can be acquired right at the start, by looting the wooden and common metal chests. To unlock the five golden chests, you’ll need to gather a fixed amount of Mist Echoes. Each of these golden chests gives different rewards, depending on the amount of mist echoes they require for unlocking. We got the following items:
- 1.000 Mist Echoes Chest – Niflheim Alloy x5, Perfect Artefact of the Blight
- 2.000 Mist Echoes Chest – Eye of Niflheim epic enchantment, Haze Weave. Eye of Niflheim greatly increases resistance to the cursed mist of Niflheim (Stacks with any other resistances to the Cursed Mist).
- 5.000 Mist Echoes Chest – Chilling Mists of Niflheim – final upgrade to a powerful item, Niflheim Alloy, Haze Weave, Aesirbane.
- 7.500 Mist Echoes Chest – Blightguard epic blades pommel, Niflheim Alloy, Haze Weave, Aesirbane. Blightguard has lower perk activation chance to strike with an explosive curse that inflicts weakness to enemies on any successful hit.
- 7.500 Mist Echoes Chest – Blightbringer epic axe pommel, Niflheim Alloy, Haze Weave, Aesirbane. Blightbringer has low perk activation chance to strike with an explosive curse that inflicts weakness to enemies on any successful hit.
In the central chamber, there are also three realm tears, and they also require unlocking. To do so, beside the fixed amount of mist echoes, you’ll also need a special item. This item, called Anchor of Fog, is gathered from the golden chests hidden around the maze. This is a very rare item, but if you go through the whole maze, you’re bound to find one. Once you have the Anchor of Fog, and the right amount of Mist Echoes, you can get the following from the realm tears:
- 10.000 Mist Echoes, One Anchor of Fog – Three ogres enemies, Gift of Apollo heavy runic attack, Hacksilver x10.000, Dust of Realms.
- 15.000 Mist Echoes, One Anchor of Fog – Three Revenant poison enemies, Talisman of Cursed Power, Dust of Realms, Hacksilver x30.000, Experience 22.000.
- 20.000 Mist Echoes, One Anchor of Fog – Soul Devourer, Two Wilvers, Epic Axe Pommel Mistbourne, Hacksilver x50.000, Dust of Realms. Mistbourne has Low Perk activation chance to grant Healing Mist on any successful hit. Healing Mist regenerates Health and increases Runic.
God of War Nifheim Maze Tips & Tricks
Although farming through Niflheim can sometimes feelrepetitive, the rewards you reap are the best in the game. We used the Ivaldi’s armor set to defeat all Valkyries, including Hildr, whom you can find in the Niflheim maze, and their queen Sigrun. Clearing all the maze rooms can give you around ten to twenty thousand Mist Echoes, depending on how good you were with looting the chests. Here are some tips you may find useful:
- Memorize the runes on the first chest, and find them throughout the maze. Once you destroy all the runes, go back to the chest to get the largest amount of Mist Echoes (around 1.500) and a Perfect Aspect of the Realm.
- To keep track of the maze layout, we’ve found the best approach is to always keep going left or right from the start. At one point, you’ll end up in rooms with one way in, but that is all. Just leave them from where you entered, and keep going.
- The enemies in the area are around level five to eight.
- The traps blades don’t kill the player instantly, like the pressure ones.
- Switch your weapon’s runic attacks to deal with larger numbers of enemies. The goal is to clear them as fast as possible.
- Once you find the bell rune chest, be sure to first hit the bell that is the furthest. This will allow you to recall the axe while aiming at one the remaining two.
- The valkyr Hidr, who is hiding in the maze, doesn’t slow down the timer on the deadly mist, up to the moment when you defeat her. Once you pick up a few pieces of gear, you can rush towards her and save some time.
- With three pieces of armour and the talisman, you’ll have more than enough time to complete the entire maze, without the need to rush.
- Once you loot all the central chamber chests, you get the trophy “Darkness & Fog”.
- The amount of epic enhancement sockets that drop from enemies increases drastically as you loot everything from the main chamber. These items are even more useful when you realize you can sell them for additional Mist of Echoes.