Summons are a big part of any Final Fantasy game, and FFVII Remake is no exception. There are six of them available to all, and another three as preorder and deluxe edition rewards. They can help you defeat difficult enemies, and you’ll unlock them gradually as you progress through the game. If you’re wondering who made the cut and how to get them, keep reading our FFVII Remake summons guide.
How summons work in FFVII Remake
Summons are tied to materia, which are equippable items you can use in battle. Each character from your party can carry one, and you can switch them between fights. Large summons can only be used in arenas that are big enough to fit them, which usually boils down to just the boss battles. The smaller ones can be summoned practically everywhere.
FFVII Remake all summons
Some summons are unlocked automatically while playing through the main story. Others can be unlocked by completing Battle Intel Reports for Chadley. There are even several that are only available in certain editions of the game. Here’s a full list and how to get them:
- Ifrit: You’ll get it at the end of Chapter 3 from Jessie.
- Shiva: Reward for completing Battle Intel Report 5.
- Fat Chocobo: Reward for completing Battle Intel Report 10.
- Leviathan: Reward for completing Battle Intel Report 15.
- Bahamut: Reward for completing Battle Intel Report 20.
- Chocobo & Moogle: Found during Chapter 6, in a hidden area behind the large fans, accessible only when you restore power and can turn the fans off.
- Chocobo Chick: Only available if you’ve preordered the game.
- Carbuncle: Only available if you’ve bought the Digital Deluxe Edition or 1st Class Edition.
- Cactuar: Only available if you’ve bought the Deluxe Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition or 1st Class Edition.
It’s possible the last three will be made available to everyone later, but for now, they’re only there for those who bought the game before release or shelled out for one of the fancy editions.