Terraria recently got updated for the final time, with a massive patch that adds a bunch of new stuff, fixes some standing issues and introduces a lot of changes. Sadly, not everything is working as intended. A number of people have been complaining that the game won’t launch, or that they get nothing but a white screen before it crashes. This guide is going to show you various things you could try if Terraria won’t launch for you.
Can’t launch Terraria
First of all, it seems like the issue is tied to the latest hotfix, so it’s something the developers will be looking into. A bug report has already been submitted, so if you have the patience to wait it out, it could be your best bet. If not, here are some things you could try – none are guaranteed to work, but each one has been reported as a workaround at least once:
- Make sure all your drivers are up to date
- Reinstall the GPU driver (with a clean install)
- Update XNA, C++ redistributable, and .Net framework
- Run the game as administrator
- Delete the game files manually, along with the config files in Documents\My Games\Terraria, then reinstall the game
- Whitelist the game in your antivirus settings
- Verify the game files integrity
- Close anything that might interfere with your graphics card, like MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner
- Disable any overlays you may have running – Steam, Discord, Team Viewer, etc
- If you have a Razer Chroma, kill all the processes related to it via the Task Manager
- Try running the game in Windows 8 compatibility mode
If none of those work, you’ll probably just have to wait for the patch. If you’ve had luck with a workaround that we haven’t mentioned, let us know in the comments. We’ll update the guide if we discover any more potential fixes.