Dragoonslayer trophy is an achievement in Final Fantasy XV Episode Prompto. You can get it by beating Aranea in the Intensive Training game mode. The fight is interesting, although a bit hard. In this guide, we’ll show you how to defeat Aranea in Intensive Training, and get the hidden trophy.
How to unlock Dragoonslayer hidden trophy
To unlock Intensive Training, you need to complete the Episode Prompto story first. Choose the Intensive Training option from the DLC menu, and you’ll begin sparring with the Imperial Dragoon.
In the first phase, Aranea isn’t too dangerous. She does a series of attacks while on the ground, with a bonus air attack. The most devastating ground attack is when she charges toward Prompto and performs a push-up strike. You should avoid this one every time. It usually happens if you are a bit farther away from her. Her second most powerful move is the air attack. Once she goes into the air, she will charge toward Promto after a few brief moments, ending it with an AoE strike. To avoid damage, keep looking at the mini map and dodge away from the red dot.
The second phase starts when she gets to around 30% health. She will perform the same attacks from the first phase, but with more power, and a greater area of effect. She’ll also get another aerial strike.
Here are some tips for the fight:
- Your pistol is more reliable than any other weapon you can find on the battlefield. Even the bazooka seems a bit off – it doesn’t feel rewarding.
- There is a small rock in the southern part of the field. If you stand behind it, Aranea will come walking towards you, and you can shoot freely. It feels a bit cheesy, as the first phase is a bit too easy. She will occasionally walk over the rock, but in general, it is an insurmountable obstacle for her.
- After several gun shots, Aranea will become vulnerable and you can perform crackshots for devastating damage. This is the best situation, but is less likely to happen in the second phase.
- The easiest way to defeat Aranea (that I’ve used) is waiting to get all three strike bars filled. All three are needed for the new Trigger-Happy ability. As you activate this skill, Prompto will become invulnerable for a few seconds while shooting a barrage. You have to wait for the right moment, though, when Aranea is close, so the shots won’t miss her. Dodge away, wait for the Trigger-Happy, rinse and repeat.
- Since you only have one Potion (restores half HP), two Elixirs (restores full HP) and one Phoenix Down (brings fallen members back to life), you really want to save them for the second phase. Your health will regenerate slowly, and you don’t want to waste your consumables in a panic.
- If you shoot Aranea from a distance, she will dodge the bullets, but will remain at a distance for a bit more, which will give you enough time to get Trigger-Happy ready.
Bonus information: Aranea’s natural aptitude for airborne combat helped her soar to new heights both literally and figuratively. Magitek lance in hand, she rose through the ranks just as easily as she rose through the air in combat, earning her the official title of “commodore” and the unofficial nickname of “dragoon”.