Cyberpunk 2077’s Phantom Liberty expansion finally has a release date! As revealed during the June 2023 Xbox Games Showcase, Phantom Liberty arrives on September 26th, 2023. Read on to learn more about new content, story, and massive gameplay overhauls of the game’s original systems and mechanics.
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty Is Set for September Release, Features Numerous Gameplay Reworks
During this year’s Xbox Games Showcase, CD Projekt RED has officially unveiled the release date for Cyberpunk 2077’s first and (for now) only expansion. Called Phantom Liberty, the expansion is set to be released on September 26th, 2023. “In Phantom Liberty, players once again take on the role of V, a cyberpunk for hire, as they embark on a mission to save the President of the New United States of America after her orbital shuttle is shot down over the deadliest district of Night City — Dogtown,” reads the official press release. “What follows is a deep dive into an intricate story of espionage and political intrigue which connects the highest echelons of power with the brutal world of black-market mercenaries.”
However, a new district of Night City and a brand new story are just one aspect of the expansion. Namely, Phantom Liberty is set to completely overhaul many of Cyberpunk 2077’s gameplay systems. One of the main critiques of Cyberpunk since the game’s release is that it simply didn’t deliver on its promise. However, according to the developers, that’s about to change. Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty adds numerous new gameplay features to the original game and improves almost every existing gameplay mechanic. Here’s a list of many major changes coming to Cyberpunk 2077 with Phantom Liberty, according to creative director Pawel Sasko.
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty Gameplay Features and Reworks
- A complete rework of the police system. There will be NCPD/Mercs chasing based on your “wanted” level (5 levels max).
- The perks and skills system has been thoroughly overhauled. Now very few of them will give simple passive bonuses and stats. Instead, they will provide interesting active abilities and meaningful changes. Some examples are dash, different melee finishers, and bullet-deflecting with melee weapons.
- The 6th skill tree was added. It uses Relic Points as a resource, and players will use it to add new abilities to Cyberware.
- The difficulty curve has been rebalanced and reworked for a better pace of the game.
- New enemy types and archetypes were added, and many existing ones have been reworked to introduce more variety in combat.
- Several changes to how Cyberware works, including a negative effect if you have too much of it.
- The highly-requested vehicle combat improvements are now added to Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. For example, you can use your Katana while driving a bike. In addition, some vehicles now have weapons installed on them, like machine guns and rocket launchers.
- Speaking of vehicles, you will now be able to hack cars. Additionally, you no longer buy cars from fixers. Rather, they are now purchasable via Wakako Okada’s website.
If you need help with anything else in the game, we have guides for you to check out. For example, if you don’t know how to remove the virus from the chip and find the Militech Datashard correct cack sequence we can help. Or, can you save Jackie in Cyberpunk 2077? We'll also help with your first Cyberpunk 2077 braindance during the Information quest.