Mass Effect Andromeda’s creative director Mac Walters revealed some of the interesting features surrounding characters in their newest title. There was talk about Scott and Sarah Ryder – the main protagonists, Peebee – a crew member, and more. The information we’ve found out is just enough to tease us until the next meeting.
Sarah and Scott Ryder
Sarah is voiced by Fryda Wolff and Scott Ryder is voiced by Tom Taylorson. Fryda is known for her work as the narrator in Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth, Caira’s character in Evolve, Stacy in Octodad: Deadliest Catch and more. Tom Taylorson is known for his work in Octodad: Deadliest Catch, where he was Octodad.
- Sarah and Scott Ryder are inexperienced. This is their first trip to outer space, and their first adventure.
- They are both in their mid-twenties.
- The story is about becoming a hero, making Sarah and Scott more appealing to the masses.
- If you keep the default name of the character, you’ll called by it by the other protagonists. If you change it, or keep the last name Ryder, the others will call you “Hey Ryder”, or simply “Hey You” and etc.
At the start of the game, you’ll get to choose to play as either Sarah or Scott. You can even change their default names. Once you pick Scott or Sarah, the other one will still exist in the world and be a part of the story.
There has been talk of the Ryder mystery. Considering that we can see their father Alec Ryder (voiced by Clancy Brown) in this part of the galaxy, it can be assumed that he has to do something with it.
These new character revelations are found in the special edition of Game Informer’s podcast. You can find it on their YouTube channel.
- Peebee is not her full name. You find out her full name later on in the game.
- The way you learn about her species is completely opposite from how she behaves. She is not a typical Asari.
- Peebee is somehow opposite from the previous title character Liara. To be fun for gamers, she needed to be new and unique.
- Peebee, just like Vetra (the female Turian squad mate) have interesting character dynamics.
- She is a free spirit, less sophisticated and concerned about things concerning others.