In our Pokemon GO Mega Gyarados Weakness, Counters & Best Moveset guide, we are going to cover all the info you’ll need to efficiently battle this Pokemon. After all, a Mega Gyarados Raid Day is going to take place on October 8th, and you should make the most of it. This article should help you on this journey.
Pokemon GO Mega Gyarados Weakness & Counters
The best counters for Mega Gyarados in Pokemon GO are those that exploit its weakness. Well, fortunately for you, it has five: Bug, Fighting, Grass, Fairy and Electric. In the list below, we are going to give you a bunch of options which should work really well in this battle. We’re skimping on Fairy Pokemon, just because most of them are really not that great in Raids.
- Xurkitree with Thunder Shock or Spark and Discharge
- Pheromosa with Bug Bite and Bug Buzz
- Zarude with Vine Whip and Power Whip
- Shadow Machamp with Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Zekrom with Charge Beam and Wild Charge
- Therian Thundrus with Volt Switch or Thunder Shock and Thunderbolt
- Kartana with Razor Leaf and Leaf Blade
- Raikou (Shadow or regular) with Thunder Shock and Wild Charge
- Mega Manectric with Thunder Fang and Wild Charge
- Lucario with Counter and Aura Sphere
- Mega Venusaur with Vine Whip and Frenzy Plant
- Electivire (Shadow or regular) with Thunder Shock and Wild Charge
Pokemon GO Mega Gyarados Best Moveset
So, those are the best counters for Mega Gyarados in Pokemon GO and its weakness (or weaknesses), but what about its best moveset? After all, this Pokemon has a fairly wide variety of different moves it can use. Well, considering that Mega Gyarados is a Water- and Dark-type, it’s probably best to keep the loadout within those margins. Your best bet is Waterfall (Water) as the Quick Attack and Hydro Pump (Water) as the Charged Attack. You can substitute Waterfall with Bite (Dark).
The other two Quick Attacks Mega Gyarados can have are Dragon Tail (Dragon, Elite TM) and Dragon Breath (Dragon), but that one is event-specific. As for Charged Attacks, you can also choose between Crunch (Dark), Outrage (Dragon), Twister (Dragon), Aqua Tail (Water, Elite TM), Dragon Pulse (Dragon, Elite TM), Frustration (Normal, Shadow) and Return (Normal, Purified).