Out Before Dessert is a Trophy/Achievement you can get in Resident Evil 7 if you complete the Happy Birthday videotape sequence under five minutes. You find the videotape in the main house, above the kids room and once you watch it the videotape sequence will start. The goal is for you to solve a puzzle with water preventing you to put the lit candle onto the kids’ birthday cake, which is the main goal of the sequence. In your initial attempt it will probably take much longer than five minutes to figure out how to get the code for the locked door to get all the missing parts of the clown mannequin. Following the steps described in this guide you should be able to do all that under five minutes. Just make sure you make haste while doing each.
How to get the lit candle onto the birthday cakeThe moment the videotape sequence starts the timer is ticking. Once the initial cutscene stops you will be in the room with the clown mannequin. Do the following:
- Get the lit candle from the mannequin’s hand
- Go outside and into the room to your left (where the birthday cake is) and water will turn off the candle
- Pick up the mannequin’s Winding Key from the barrel on the table
- There’s a locker on the wall with a combination that you can figure out by using a lens you find in the toilet and looking through it at the TVs in this room, but you should just use the following combination and save some time: Hanging man/Bird on top of a bell/fetus
- Pick up the straw doll from the locker
- Go outside the room and to the stove – interact with it to turn it on
- From your inventory pick the straw doll and interact with the stove to burn it and reveal the mannequin’s finger
- Light the candle on the stove (important)
- Go to the door in the back of the room with the stove and burn the rope keeping the door closed.
- Inside you’ll find a bunch of balloons. Pop them until, in the back of the room, you’ll find a deflated yellow balloon that you can pick up.
- Take the deflated balloon back to the room with the stove. Right of the stove there’s a gas venting pipe. Use the balloon from your inventory on it.
- After the cutscene you will get the mannequin’s quill
- Go back to the room where the sequence started and put the finger on the mannequin first. Then put the quill into its hand and finally put the winding key in its belly and interact with it.
- After that’s done run back to the room with the balloons and use the code LOSER on the locked door.
- Inside the locked room you’ll find a valve that you should take back into the room with the cake.
- There’s a water pipe there with a place where you can put in the valve. Do so and use it to turn off the water
- Run to the stove to light the candle back on and put the candle into the cake.
If you managed to follow all these steps and do it quickly you will easily do everything under five minutes and get the Out Before Dessert achievement. If not, at least you now know how to finish the Happy Birthday videotape sequence in Resident Evil 7 without wondering what the correct sequence of steps is and wasting too much time on it.If you are still having trouble please feel free to check out this video showing you how to do the achievement