Valkyries are powerful bosses in God of War. You’ll have to kill a bunch of them for the Prove Your Valour quest. They are an essential part of the endgame and one of the hardest enemies to defeat. You can find them inside hidden chambers, and in the realms of Muspelheim and Niflheim. In this guide, we’ll try to help you by giving our advice on how to defeat Valkyries in God of War. The guide will contain some spoilers, so proceed with caution.
Preparing for Valkyrie fights
You can start fighting Valkyries once you acquire the Magic Chisel. It is a part of the main mission and can’t be missed. The Magic Chisel can break the seals on hidden rooms. What you might not be aware of at this point, is that there is one more weapon in the game. If you wait until you receive this second weapon, the Valkyries will be less of a problem.
While preparing for the fight, you should start with your gear. It is also important to socket the armour with appropriate items, to have fight-fitting pommels, runic attacks and talisman, and to equip Atreus with the best stuff. If you don’t want to spend too much time on finely tuning your gear, be sure to have at least the Niflheim realm unlocked, and get the three pieces of armor from there. It will make this so much easier, and it only takes around 30 minutes to get them.
Learning new skills from the talent tree is also important. Up to this point, I had only the most basic ones. It hadn’t even occurred to me that, for example, the rage skills are so powerful. It shouldn’t pose a problem, as the game has probably awarded you with more than enough experience points.
Here’s the short version of the best preparation you can have for fighting the Valkyries:
- Wait for Kratos to acquire the second weapon.
- Have both weapons’ runic attacks equipped and upgraded.
- Learn all the necessary skills.
- Come into the fight with full rage.
- If you acquire the best armor from Niflheim, and upgrade it, you’ll turn these fights into a joke.
- Having the appropriate sockets, talismans and pommels will increase your power.
- Collect all the Idunn Apples and Horns of Blood Mead, for maximum health and rage.
- Buy the resurrection stone from the shop.
In the end, once you get the ball rolling and defeat one, you’ll just continue to get better loot, which will help you become more powerful.
Additional tips & tricks for fighting Valkyries
Here’s the gear I’ve used to defeat the Valkyries. Keep in mind that this is not the best gear combo in the game, it is just what I had at the time.
- Kratos Armour: Ivaldi’s Deadly Mist Armour – great boost to strength, runic, defence and vitality. It also adds a small amount of constant health regeneration. Three pieces of level 6 armor give you an opportunity to socket nine gems.
- Talisman: Golden Talisman of Protection – probably the weakest link here. It increases the timing window on parries, and greatly increases defense while blocking.
- Leviathan Runic Attacks: Light – Leviathan’s Wake, Heavy – Ivaldi’s Anvil. The light one was really useful for most of the game, as it is hard to miss with it, and it adds a stun effect. The heavy one is not the best one, but it was the one I could rely on the most.
- The Second Weapon Runic Attacks: Early on, the game provides you the two most basic ones, and they are enough for now. Be sure to upgrade them.
- Pommels: Leviathan Axe – Hraezla Farmadr’s Grip (chance to grant a health burst on any successful hit), 2nd weapon – Grips of the Cursed Flame (chance to plant a 3 second delayed fire bomb on enemies on any successful hit).
- Atreus Armor: Legendary Runic Vestment – sometimes finds healthstones when Kratos is injured.
- Atreus Runic Summon: Murder of Crows – the best damage.
Do not forget to use resurrection stones. If you use them immediately, while the Valkyrie is still swinging, you might be down again faster than you’d think. On the other hand, if you wait too long, Kratos will die.
In the end, it was pretty easy with all these preparations. You can do it without them, of course – like I did the first two – but some of them are just too powerful. The best tip that I can give you is: When she goes in the air throw the axe or shoot her with arrows. Usually dodge to the left or backwards. After defeating the first two, the side quest Prove Your Valour appeared. It asked me to find and defeat eight Valkyries. Their locations become revealed at the end of the game, once I completed the main story. When they were defeated, I had to fight their queen in the High Council quest, which got me the Chooser of the Slain trophy. But that is another story for another time.