Horizon Zero Dawn New Game Plus mode went live with the 1.30 update. Starting it is a bit of a tricky process, but don’t worry. In this guide, we will show you how to start new game plus in Horizon Zero Dawn.
How to begin New Game +
To even be eligible to start NG+, you’ll need to do two things:
- Complete the main story campaign. This means getting the Ended the War Machine Threat trophy.
- Install the latest update (patch 1.30).
If you’ve completed these two steps, and you still see New Game Plus greyed out in the main menu, do not worry. The next steps will ensure you can click it soon enough.
- The third step requires you to load the save that has the main story completed. This is probably the one with the objective to rest before the final battle, during The Looming Shadow quest.
- Once you’ve loaded this save, use the options button on the controller. It will turn on the in-game menu. Find and use the option to Create New Game + Loadout. Before you use this option, be sure that this is the save you want to transfer, as all items and skills will be copied to NG+.
- This is where you find out whether you are eligible for New Game + or not. If you are, the information notes will tell you that you now have the option to replay the game.
- Once you’ve created a New Game+ Loadout, return to the main menu. The previously greyed out New Game + option will now be the same color as the rest of them, and you’ll be able to select it!
- The screen that lets you choose your difficulty will pop up next. Keep in mind that whatever you choose, you won’t be able to change it mid-game. The ultra hard difficulty unlocks one additional trophy and some new cosmetics.
HZD New Game Plus Details
New Game + skips the intro where Aloy is a little girl. It places you right in front of your cabin, with the task to find Ros and continue with your adventure. This is a great time to visit the first bonfire and manually save the game. Although there is an auto save option, it is safer this way. This mode has its own save slots, and you won’t need to overwrite the old ones. These saves will also be labeled as New Game + ones.
To load up a New Game + save game, you need to do it from the main menu once again. You won’t see the NG+ files while you’re playing on a regular save.
- This mode allows you to start over with all the skills and equipment from your previous playthrough (except those related to quests). If you were lower than level 50, you will continue to accumulate experience and skill points until you’ve reached the cap. However, if you are at maximum level, the experience gained will still be tracked using Ghost levels, awarded every 100000 XP.
- New Game + Features:
- New Adept weapons and outfits with extra modification slots
- Chosen difficulty level is locked during NG+
- Cosmetic rewards: face paints and new Focus elements for completion on hard difficulty levels. Complete on Ultra hard to unlock them all.
- The data not transferred into NG+ includes collectibles, machine catalogue info, datapoints. Game Progression is wiped out, but you’ll still have the info regarding acquired weapons and outfits. The statistics won’t get wiped, which is a bit weird.
- You can’t summon mounts at the start of NG+, as the skills required to do so are not accessible at that point.
- There is also a renewed fog of war on the map. You’ll have to visit the Tallnecks once again.