You considered yourself an old gaming hand and thought nothing can surprise you or interest you anymore – and then you saw it. A racoon-like thing with an eye patch, a huge sword, and a robotic grasshopper buddy. Your life has meaning again, as you are waiting for Biomutant to come out in 2018.
The developer, Experiment 101, and the publisher, THQ Nordic have announced Biomutant at this year’s Gamescom (which is currently under way in Cologne, Germany), showcasing a post-apocalyptics open-world action RPG with “real-time melee, shooter and mutant ability action”. They are promising a complex system of character progression, three systematically generated worlds, an underworld, all this in a small solar system, traversable by “foot, mech, air-balloon, jetski and UFO”. Tough act to pull off, but promising!
The following key features are listed:
- Real-Time Combat: Mixes melee, guns, and abilities.
- Hugely Customizable Character: Bionics offer powerful prosthetics, while Mutations offer physical changes as well as powers.
- Automation sidekick: Customizable living robotic toys.
- Pilotable Vehicles: Customizable mech, jetski, and UFO.
- Creative crafting system: Open creation of weapons and gear.
There is talk of a fully customizable character and mutation system, with item crafting. A contextual storyteller should allow each player to create their own story in this surreal world.
Of course, there is already an announcement of a collector’s edition for $119, contaiting the game, OST, figurine, A1 artwork on fabric and a premium box. Biomutant will be out in 2018 on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
If you are on Gamescom, you can already check the game out (of course, you need to spend serious time queueing). If not, feast your eyes on the gallery below.