There’s a new video for Expeditions, the upcoming expansion for the old-school RPG Underrail. It’s eight minutes of gameplay, recorded during a recent internal testing session, so it’s fairly unedited. It also contains some spoilers, the devs warn us, so proceed with caution.
The expansion is progressing quite nicely – the developers said that most of the main quest was implemented and functioning. They haven’t mentioned a release date yet, so it’s obviously still work to be done, but it’s crawling towards the finish line.
The video probably won’t mean much to people who haven’t played the base game. Fans, however, should be able to wring it for info. It starts off in a basalt cave, where the player fights some giant spiders and psi-crabs. After the battle is over, a cut takes us into an abandoned complex with some serious Atlantis vibes. It’s littered with statues of what look like mermaids, shellfish motifs on the walls and such.
The video then jumps to a familiar scene where you help city guards deal with raiders. After that, we can see the player stealthily infiltrate a pirate stronghold and rescue some poor sod from captivity. The biggest surprise comes in the end, when we’re shown that jet-skis will be available as a means of transport.
Underrail: Expedition will let you explore the Black Sea, an underground body of water that may or may not be related to the actual Black Sea. Here’s what you can expect, according to the official site:
- A brand new story line that becomes available during the mid-game
- Over a 100 new areas to explore of various types – shores and islands of the Black Sea, mysterious underground facilities, pirate strongholds, and more
- New human factions, as well as wild creatures to combat
- New items and crafting recipes
- New skills and feats
- Leveling past level 25 with a special pool of feats to choose from