The long-awaited Generation 2 Pokemon GO update is finally live! Over 80 new Pokemon from the Johto region are in the game, as well as a bunch of other new features. There are new items to find, new encounter mechanics, and a whole bunch of other stuff to kick-start what is basically Season 2 of Pokemon GO.
Update 0.57.2 for Android and 1.27.2 for iOS might be the most significant patch since the game began. Not only does it introduce new items and mechanics, but we got over 80 Pokemon from Gold and Silver. Additionally, even select Pokemon that were in the game already now have branching evolutions. You can check out the patch notes that Niantic released below.
- Over 80 additional Pokémon originally discovered in the Johto region can be caught.
- Gender-specific variations of select Pokémon can be caught.
- Added new encounter mechanics.
- Added Poké Ball and Berry selection carousels to the encounter screen.
- Added two new Berries.
- Added new avatar outfit and accessory options.
- Added new night-mode map and encounter music.
- Added bonus Candies for catching Evolved Pokémon.
- Implemented Apple Watch connection stability improvement.
- Various bug fixes.
- Minor text fixes.
I gave the new update a whirl today, and I can say with absolute certainty, these new little critters are all over the place. New items are abound as well. The item carousels are very handy since you don’t have to reach into your inventory mid-battle. I’ve also encountered a new encounter mechanic, where a Hoppip used its leaves to hover above ground level, making catching it a little more difficult.
Adding bonus Candies for catching Evolved Pokemon is something we all can agree is only fair. Considering that some of them can be a real challenge, a little extra for our trouble won’t go amiss. Also, I’ve looked through the new avatar outfit and accessory options. They all look cool, but you have to buy them with Poke Coins.
We’ll be posting more about the new update as we gather new information, so stay tuned. Share your thoughts and experiences with the Gen 2 Pokemon in the comments!