If you are looking for more of XCOM, you are in for a treat. The next expansion, War of the Chosen, has just been announced at E3’s PC Gaming Conference, with six new factions added. This should keep you playing for some time.
Along with the factions, new alien champions have been announced, bringing three unique fighting styles for three different classes. There is the Assassin (stealth, cloaking, melee), Hunter (sniper) and Warlock (does warlocky things).
The other big part of the expansion are The Lost – zombies which can be found in overtaken cities. They are no one’s friend, as they will come at aliens and XCOM. Humans also have three new factions/classes, Reavers (stealth marksman), Skirmishers (alien-human hybrid), and Templars (psionics). They are “the most powerful soldiers” that the players ever received. There’s just a slight thing of them hating each other, so that will need to be made up for.
Here is some more info from the developers blog post:
- Spectre – capable of creating “dark copies” of XCOM soldiers.
- ADVENT Purifier – attacks with explosives.
- ADVENT Priest – a psionic ADVENT unit.
- Abandoned cities destroyed by bioweapons (spawning The Lost)
- Underground tunnels
- Xenoformed wilderness
- Enhanced strategy layer
- Faction relationship management on a worldwide scale
- Resistance orders that allow you to “prioritise your personal strategy”
- Covert actions that give more uses for scientists, engineers and spare soldiers
- Fire Emblem style battlefield bonds between soldiers, giving new abilites and perks
- A new system that “dynamicall adds new modifiers to the tactical layer to make sure every mission provides a unique challenge”
- Advanced options that let you fine tune difficulty and game length
The expansion is said to be twice as big as the Enemy Within, and the launch date is August 29. It will be available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.