The Division is a project that Ubisoft has really struggled with, both in a negative and a positive way. While selling exceptionally at first, it soon became clear that there is not enough in the game to keep the players interested for long. Ubisoft noticed the problems and started fixing them after seeing player numbers drop significantly.
The Year Two of Division includes plans for all content to be free, while the update 1.6 brought microtransactions to the game. Last year saw timed exclusivity and delay of expansions for some platforms, which is never a popular move with players. The Division was also free the previous weekend on all platforms as a way to entice more players to join up and potentially purchase the game and keep playing, as the saves were transferable.
The video above discusses the changes brought about by update 1.7, which include Global Events (previously known as Seasons), and Commendations (previously known as Feats). Here they are in more detail:
- They occur once a month and last for one week (duration may vary to coincide with seasonal events).
- Global modifier applies to ALL PvE content (positive modifier designed to make things more fun).
- During the event a specific set of activities is put into a playlist and you can ADD an additional ‘Activity modifier’ to add a more challenging twist OR add a ‘Group modifier’ to add group mechanics on top.
- Modifiers increase the chance to get better rewards at the end.
- During a Global Event, you will be able to earn a new type of STAT ITEM that will help develop your build further.
- You will also be able to get a new type of Vanity Item(this is different to the ones earned from Commendations).
- These are an achievement type activity that encourage you to grind in order to complete them.
- Some Commendations reward you with completion points to increase your overall score (bragging rights)
- Others will reward you with a new type of vanity item (different to the vanity items we have right now).
- There are LOTS of commendations. Some are easy and will complete passively, others will force you to play a different way and will be very challenging.
The video talks about plans beyond 1.7, already detailing some changes in update 1.8. It is going to be a busy year for Division players, preferably better than the previous one.