Dawn of War 3 is the long awaited Warhammer 40k RTS game by Relic Entertainment. The beta will be live starting tomorrow, however, the reviews have already started pouring in. So far, so good, they seem to be mostly top-tier.
There has not been a Dawn of War main series game in 8 years now. The rights passed from THQ to Sega in the meantime. Relic is bringing us both the single player mode (inspired by both MOBAs and RTS traditions), with some base building. The single player campaign features three heroes of the Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks.
Let us check out some of the scores:
- Hardcoregamer.com: 4.5/5 – “Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III successfully takes the best elements from the previous two games and blends them with traditional RTS mechanics to create a game with deep strategic gameplay.”
- Trustedreviews.com: 4/5 – “There’s still something a little old-school about Dawn of War III’s RTS action, but when it scratches those same old itches so well, there’s very little reason to complain.”
- GameWatcher: 8.5/10 – “A solid third entry for the franchise that executes its mechanics very well. Sadly the lack of multiplayer modes at launch is disappointing but a great game that should please many.”
- GameSpot: 8/10 – “Dawn of War III builds and maintains an organic tension that yields huge pay-offs, and there’s nothing else quite like it.”
- Polygon: 8/10 – “Dawn of War 3 isn’t evolutionary, but it is ferociously competent”
- Eurogamer: “DoW3 has more going on than both previous games combined when it comes to scale, tone and the straight-up phwoarr-factor of battle.”
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun: “There are moments, many of them, during multiplayer and AI skirmishes, where I’m absolutely certain that Dawn of War 3 is the best game in the series, even with its missteps when it comes to cover and fortifications.”
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 3 will be out on April 27.