Picking the best Pokemon for the Greninja Tera Raid in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet is kinda tricky. The ideal counter to a regular Greninja would be Ground and Psychic, but the Tera Raid version is actually Poison, Water and Dark. They really threw a curve ball there. Fortunately, there are a few options that should still work really well.
Best Pokemon Against Greninja Tera Raid in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
The best Pokemon to use against Greninja in the upcoming Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Tera Raid need to meet several requirements. They have to be immune to at least one of Greninja’s attacks (Water, Dark and Poison). They also have to be able to deal a lot of damage. With that in mind, here are a few suggestions.
- Gastrodon – The slug Pokemon is immune to Poison attacks, which is gonna be very useful for this fight. It also has the Storm Drain ability, which also makes it immune to Water attacks (but won’t return the damage in Tera Raids). Plus, Gastrodon can deal a fair amount of damage, so it comes highly recommended. For more info, check out our Best Gastrodon Tera Raid Build guide.
- Vaporeon – Vaporeon, as a Water type, can take some moves that Tera Raid Greninja can throw at it. Plus, you can teach it Psychic moves like Stored Power and Calm Mind using TMs. If you have a Vaporeon with a Ground or Psychic Tera Type, you’re golden. Also, Vaporeon can heal itself with Water Absorb. More info in our Best Vaporeon Tera Raid Build guide.
- Clodsire – Clodsire is not as good as the previous two options, but it’s still viable if it has the Water Absorb ability. Also, you want its Tera Type to be Ground rather than Poison. Its dual type will take care of Poison resistance, and you need those Ground attacks. Check out our Best Clodsire Tera Raid Build guide for more info.
- Quagsire – Like with Clodsire, the dual nature of this Pokemon means Water attacks won’t do much against it. Plus, it has the Unaware Hidden Ability, which lets it ignore any stat alterations Greninja might try to use to mess with you.
- Slowbro – This one is tricky. Slowbro can deal massive damage with Stored Power, but it can’t take much punishment. Also, Stored Power needs time to build up, so you’ll have to use things like Follow Me to distract Greninja in the meantime.