FromSoftware has released another substantial update for Elden Ring on March 17th 2022. Elden Ring patch 1.03 is packed with new features and improvements, bug fixes, and balance changes. Among highlights, the Ragged Armor has been mysteriously removed, some NPCs have received additional steps in their questlines, and some overpowered strategies have been nerfed. Check out the full Elden Ring 1.03 patch notes.
Elden Ring Ragged Armor Deleted in Elden Ring 1.03 Patch
With the Elden Ring 1.03 update, the Ragged Armor Set has been removed from the game, which is probably the biggest surprise on the list. Fans are speculating on why this has happened. The most likely reason is the fact the Ragged set wasn’t actually planned to be added at this point. As developers explain in patch notes, it was mistakenly added with the previous update. The most likely reason for its removal is the simple fact that they are planning on adding it later. Probably as a part of some DLC.
Another highlight from this patch is the much-needed NPC marker, which you can use to record NPC locations on the map. Elden Ring NPCs are notorious for constantly changing locations. While the marker will not prevent them from doing this, it might at least help you to keep track of them. Speaking of NPCs, several of them (Diallos, Nepheli Loux, Kenneth Haight, and Gatekeeper Gostoc) received additional phases in their questlines. As if they weren’t already complicated.
There’s also a new NPC, called Jar-Bairn. You can find him in Jarsburg. When it comes to balance changes, some particularly powerful options are nerfed. For example, the Sword of Night and Flame and the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash of War. There are also quite a few potent buffs for some less popular sorceries and other items. Check out the full list of changes in the Elden Ring patch 1.03 below.
Elden Ring Patch Notes v1.03
Additional Elements Added
- Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC.
- Added NPC Jar-Bairn.
- Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.
- Added some summonable NPCs in multiple situations.
- Increased the number of patterns of objects player can imitate when using Mimic’s Veil.
- Added night background music for some open field areas.
- Fixed a bug that prevented summoned NPCs from taking damage in some boss battles.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the player from obtaining items after the boss battle.
- Fixed a bug that causes the dialogue to be skipped when talking to NPCs and using custom key configurations.
- Fixed a bug that causes the player to freeze when riding.
- Fixed a bug that causes arcane to scale incorrectly for some weapons.
- In a situation where the player cannot obtain more than 2 talisman pouches, added talisman pouch to Twin Maiden Husks shop line up.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the user from warping to sites of grace from the map at the end of the game.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the player from moving to the next area after the battle with the Fire Giant.
- Fixed a bug that causes some weapons to have incorrect scaling after strengthening.
- Fixed a bug that causes some weapons to not use stat scaling.
- Fixed hang-ups in certain occasions.
- Fixed a bug that incorrectly displays multiplayer area boundary when playing online.
- Fixed a bug that allows players to activate Erdtree Greatshield’s weapon skill without absorbing an attack using a special combination of item and incantation.
- Fixed a bug that causes Fire’s Deadly Sin incantation to have a different effect.
- Fixed a bug with the Ash of War, Determination and Royal Knight’s Resolve, where the damage buff will also apply to other weapons without that skill.
- Adjusted the visual effect of the Unseen Form spell.
- Deleted the Ragged armour set from the game which was mistakenly obtainable in the previous patch.
- Fixed a bug that causes some hostile NPCs to drop Furlcalling Finger Remedy.
- Fixed a bug that causes the incorrect sound effect to play in some situations.
- Fixed a bug that causes visual animation and hitboxes to not be displayed correctly on some maps.
- Fixed bugs that cause incorrect visuals and behaviour for some enemies.
- Fixed a bug that causes incorrect stat parameters for some armour.
- Text fixes.
- Other performance improvement and bug fixes.
- Increased the drop rate of Smithing Stone for some enemies.
- Added Smithing Stone to some early game shop lineup.
- Increased shield’s effectiveness.
- Increased the damage for all offensive cracked pot items.
- Reduced FP consumption and increased the damage of the following sorceries: Glintstone Cometshard/ Comet/ Night Comet
- Increased the damage for the following items: Spark Aromatic/Poison Spraymist.
- Increased the effect duration for the following items: Uplifting Aromatic/ Ironjar Aromatic.
- Decreased FP consumption of the following sorceries: Star Shower/ Rock Blaster/ Gavel of Haima/ Founding Rain of Stars/ Stars of Ruin/Greatblade Phalanx/Magic Downpour/ Loretta’s Greatbow/ Loretta’s Mastery/ Carian Greatsword/ Carian Piercer/ Shard Spiral
- Increased HP healing for Torrent when using the following items: Rowa Raisin/ Sweet Raisin/ Frozen Raisin
- Increased the damage of the following sorceries: Gravity Well/ Collapsing Stars/ Crystal Barrage
- Raised projectile speed and range of Great Glintstone Shard
- Decreased Ash of War, Hoarfrost Stomp’s damage and increased cast time.
- Increased Ash of War, Bloody Slash’s self-inflict damage while slightly lowering the damage and increasing the cast time.
- Decreased weapon skill, Sword of Night and Flame’s damage.
- Increased FP consumption and lower duration of Ash of War, Barricade Shield.
- Changed FP consumption timing of Ash of War, Prelate’s Charge.
- Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behaviour pattern.
- Other enemy and weapon balance changes
Very early in your exploration of Elden Ring world you will find out that you need to prepare your character for different tasks. You'll need to learn how to use Ashes of War, how to two-hand weapons, or use magic spells during the course of your adventures. Many secrets are also waiting for you, such as, a hostile NPC Sellen that doesn't let you see her shop, an invisible man in a bush, or a huge turtle with a bell that lets you duplicate some very important items.