Final Fantasy XV New Game + is up and running with the latest 1.03 patch. You can start it from the main game menu, just before you load the save. Starting New Game + will overwrite both of your auto save slots. Before you choose NG+, back up the latest save on a different slot, just to be sure. New Game + doesn’t overwrite hard saves if you don’t want it to.If you’re interested in all the changes this update made to the game, check out the FFXV patch 1.03 changelog.
What carries over with FFXV New Game +
Before heading into NG+ you might wonder what happens with your old items. The short answer is almost nothing. Some story items can’t be transferred, but all others can. The following items and attributes transfer to New Game +:
- All experience levels
- All 13 Royal Arms weapons
- All previously found weapons
- All previously earned Ascension skills and attribute points
- All of each character’s unlocked skills
- Every Magic Flask found
- Every photo, info on caught fish and cooking recipe
- Every earned (and not spent) gil
- Each character’s outfits, even the Kingly Raiment
- Almost all Regalia customization choices. The Type-F Flying Regalia remains locked.
- All previously found items, like treasures, key items…
What doesn’t carry over into FF15 NG+
With all these things remaining the same, you might wonder what will be different. There are a couple of things – some of them are not that big of a deal, but others can be a bit of a pain.
- When you start New Game +, the map resets. This means that each POI you’ve discovered is now hidden, waiting to be found again.
- With the POIs gone, the parking and other fast travel points are gone as well. You can’t fast travel to an undiscovered area.
- As you might remember from the first playthrough, you could not go to Duscae and Cleigne at first. This is the case once again. You need to complete the appropriate chapters to be able to go there.
- No chocobos at the start.
- Engine Blade and Regalia return to their first, unaltered forms.
- Hunter rank resets. If you want to raise it, you’ll have to grind through all the hunt quests once again.
New Game + Known Issues
A lot of people associate the term New Game + with stronger enemies and more challenging gameplay. This is not the case with this one, at least not for the time being. The enemies remain on the same level, although you’ll be more powerful. Fights end with you killing them instantly. If you haven’t already gained enough AP through this one short AP farming method, you will now.
Although the patch that added New Game + also added various bug fixes, it didn’t fix the most awesome one. This is of course the one that allows you to have an additional party member – Aranea. If you have her in your company, thanks to a glitch described in our how to get Aranea guide, she will remain with you in New Game + as well.
The unique, upgradeable weapons can now be sold, since they’re no longer so unique. Keep this in mind, or you might accidentally sell a great item for pocket change. Or just avoid selling items altogether.
Someone may ask if there are new, “plus” items. It is highly unlikely that there will be specific New Game + items. It feels like this is just a story reset. But, on the bright side, you can get duplicates of all your previous weapons. You can now give the best weapons not only to Noctis, but also to his companions.
TL/DR: Almost everything from the regular game transfers to New Game +. Everything but the upgraded Engine Blade, the Flying Regalia and hunter ranks. New Game +, in its current state, only resets the story and POIs. There is no Hard Mode.